Bennington is a city in Ottawa County, Kansas. Bennington was platted in 1878 and currently has a population of over 600. The city name comes from one of two sourcees. A paper written on the history of Bennington states that Bennington is an Indian name meaning “place of fine trees.” The same article also states that co-city founder George R Parker gave the town it name after Bennington, Vermont. The Solomon Valley Railroad, a branch of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, reached Bennington in 1878.
In 1879, the first school was located one half mile south of town. In 1918, a new school house was built. In 1938, an auditorium was added; in 1955 a shop was added, and in 1961 a new grade school building was annexed.